Friday, July 8, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 4

Grab your hankies, it's time for...

Day 4: A Book That Makes You Cry

Gianna weeps at the drop of a hat.  I, on the other hand, subscribe to the Hank Hill method of emotional bottling--swallow it down until there's an ache in your stomach.  This makes me a better person; I'm sure of it.

Gianna

Let's Take the Long Way Home (Gail Caldwell)



I think even if I hadn't had a close friend who was dying when this book came to me, it still would have meant the world to me. I don't know, maybe not. What is important, I guess, is that we found each other and it's a bible of sorts. It is a comfort now that my friend is gone. Anyway - I think of the book often and am grateful for it.

Liz

Push by Sapphire

There are two books that I can think of that made me cry, and this is one of them.  Maybe I just had gas that day.  Anyway, this novel upon which the movie Precious is based is a harrowing read, one in which you wonder what more can happen to a girl who's been disappointed and hurt at every turn in her life...only to be smacked with something else.  Nonetheless, the story of Precious is still one that offers glimpses of hope and courage in the face of the harshest adversity, and it's one that champions the power of literature and writing to make bearable the horrors of life.  It's a book that's hard to recommend as a pleasurable reading experience, but at the same time remains a necessary and valued part of the literary landscape.

1 comment:

  1. For sure to both of these, especially the first one. But the book that really made me cry is Marilynne Robinson's Gilead.

    ReplyDelete