Hey look! I get to go first today! Gianna's love connection attempts to find me a soul mate will have to wait at least a paragraph or two. (I've convinced friends to play board games with me for the first time in six months and need to finish my half of the post before Gianna's ready.)
Today's topic is our favorite female character, and this one's easy for me. I'm going to reveal here for the first time that Stieg Larsson modeled his protagonist from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo after me. Naturally I love myself. Shall we look at the evidence?
- Lizbeth Salander. It even sounds like Elizabeth Sullivan.
- Lizbeth has a twin sister named Camilla. I have a twin sister named Kathryn.
- Lizbeth is brilliant. I know, this one's obvious.
- Lizbeth is socially awkward and tends to behave outside the bounds of social norms. I once gave a presentation to nuns in which I discussed Harry Hole.
- We have rage issues.
- We are both single. Daniel Craig may or may not have been our true love.
- Lizbeth has a dragon tattoo. The dragon is my Chinese Zodiac sign.
- Lizbeth's heritage is dark, the daughter of a Russian mobster and prostitute. I grew up in East Texas.
- Gianna is in love with Lizbeth. Gianna is in love with me.
I love Lillian from one of my favorite novels, Away by Amy Bloom. I think Lillian is the kind of woman (or man, really) that I aspire to. She’s smart and fearless. She escapes Russia after the murder of her entire family, including her daughter. While in New York she meets a woman who claims Lillian’s daughter is still alive in Russia. Lillian is able to “negotiate” transportation all the way to Alaska, but with no other option she must walk the rest of the way along the Telegraph Trail toward Siberia.