Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Year, New 30 Day Book Challenge, Day 11


totally terrible. 
Day 11: A Book You Hated

Gianna, who loves to hate:

I wish I could be a truly thoughtful or philosophical person and say that I never really hated a book. However, and to the disbelief of no one, I am not that person and have hated many books.

The Bridges of Madison County was really terrible, and not in a guilty pleasure sort of 50 Shades sort of way, just straight up crappy. 

 A couple of books I’ve left unfinished on airplanes: Forrest Gump (horrible) and Primary Colors (worse than Forrest Gump but not quite as bad as Bridges).
half terrible
mostly terrible 


There are dozens of books that I’ve read that I didn’t like, but only a few that I really thought were terrible, and full disclosure there is one on my hated list that I don’t want to mention out of politeness. Seriously, I can be polite. [I'm laughing so hard at that sentence.] Oh, shut up. 







Liz, who hates to love:

Okay, I just sorted through my Goodreads list of books I rated one star.  I think it's pretty safe to say that I hated all of these.


  • A Wrinkle in Time--I tried to read this book about a dozen times when I was a kid. It's awful.
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • The Eyre Affair--This is how you take great books like Jane Eyre and destroy them for the sake of semi-clever plot twists. 
  • Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood--I'm embarrassed for all women everywhere for this trite crap.
  • Scarlett--This was the first sequel to Gone With the Wind.  It's straight up terrible romance.
  • Riders of the Purple Sage--Yeehaw! Religious persecution! Racism! Cowboys!
  • A Confederacy of Dunces--Again, blah.  It's supposed to be funny, but it's not.  Actually, "funny" books usually flop for me.
  • The Final Solution--I loved the cover...and little else.

Great cover. Better admired from afar.
Of course, as a career bookseller type, I've managed to sell lots of copies of some of these books.  Not Scarlett, though.  Is it even still in print?  It's basically unreadable.

No comments:

Post a Comment