Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year, New 30 Day Book Challenge Day 2

Day 2: A Book That You've Read More Than Three Times

Gianna:

Just as luck would have it, there are exactly three books that I have read three times! Just looking at this short list, it's obvious I have a type, and I am an incredibly well-rounded person. 

The Holy Bible 
Lonesome Dove
Rubyfruit Jungle 

Now, just because I know so many of our readers have also read the Bible and Lonesome Dove (some in the same weekend if you're like me!), I will focus on the last book on my list, Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. 

Gianna, Rita Mae
does not approve of
your theft.
No I didn't read this novel in a tough college level literature class as one may expect. I first read it in a dark corner of a library when I was in high school. I then went back and read it in the same library, in a different dark corner. I then stole it from that very same library so I could read it a third time. I then returned it to the library two days later so it would never be found on my person. 

Now, just because I can, I own a copy but have yet to read it a fourth time. Not as fun I guess.

[Correction: Gianna has not read Lonesome Dove, even though I've been bugging her about it FOR YEARS.  She has not read it three times.  She has not read it ONE time.  Nonetheless, she works for UT Press, which has published several books on Lonesome Dove.  She's a liar.]

[Correction: If Gianna has read the Bible, it's obvious that the holy book had only adverse influences in her life. I'm going out on a limb and saying that Gianna is a liar.  Isn't lying a sin?]

Liz:

I almost never reread now.  Rarely I will read a book a second time, such as when I was a member of a book group. So I'm going back to college for my pick, which is Sula by Toni Morrison.  I read it for a Women's Lit class, read it again for the comprehensive lit exam that English majors had to pass, and I read it for a book group after I graduated from school.  A few years ago, I listened to the audiobook of Sula because Toni Morrison reads it and hearing an author's work in her voice made it fresh once more.

Gianna the Liar will agree with me that Sula is a wonderful book about friendship, love, and anger.  It's a book of powerful women, damaged people trying to survive, quirky characters, and two incredible friends, Nel and Sula.


No comments:

Post a Comment