Monday, April 22, 2013

Good and Cheap (Books)! Day 20


so much fun on vacation!
Curtis Sittenfeld is someone you should bring on vacation this summer. And of course when I say "bring Curtis Sittenfeld on vacation this summer," I mean bring Man of My Dreams, Prep, or American Wife. I’m not saying not to ask her on vacation if you think that’s what you want to do; personally I think it's creepy, but whatever.

I read Prep at the urging of the literary director of the Texas Book Festival and ended up devouring it on my seven-hour flight to Alaska a few years ago. It was the only book I brought with me, so I was pretty much forced to look at nature and make conversation for the next ten days.  Prep follows Lee Fiora as she leaves the Midwest to attend a prestigious prep school on the east coast. The book is told semester-by-semester, culminating at graduation. It clocks in at just over 400 pages but believe me, you won’t believe how quickly it goes.

Intense teenage girl relationships and general young adult angst not your thing (really, what’s wrong with you)? Well may I suggest American Wife, a novel loosely based on Laura Bush? I’ve written about this novel a couple of times so won’t drone on here but to say, for me, this was a novel about how smart, ambitious women can easily get lost behind a powerful man.  This book exceeded my expectations in every way.

Sittenfeld has a new book due this June, and yes, I will be bringing it on vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment