Sunday, July 10, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 6

Here's a challenge--

Day 6: Favorite Young Adult Book

Gianna:

John Updike's Rabbit Run Series.

Oh the memories as my mother tucked Rabbit Run and Rabbit Redux under each arm as I padded off to first grade!

Actually my favorite young adult book was Follow My Leader and it was about a kid who gets blinded playing with....you guessed it, fireworks. Turns out it's pretty awesome though because he gets a guide dog and never has to clean up dog poop (because he's blind). I don't know why I was so drawn to that book but I was, I remember thinking how great it was. I actually may still have a copy.

Liz:

Anne of Green Gables series by L.M. Montgomery

I'm not really sure what the difference between "young adult" and "children's" is, so I'm going with the books that I reread most while growing up.  Anne's rebellious streak, the unwanted orphan who strikes unlikely parental gold with Matthew and Marilla, her friendship with Diana and romance with Gilbert--these books were friends.  I also blame them for part of my long obsession with Canada and Canadian books.

2 comments:

  1. Big thumbs up for Anne of Green Gables... I used to desperately wish I had red hair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my votes go to Liz, this round. Never heard of that first one, but I don't see how kid with stupidity-induced blindness could ever trump sharp and sweet Anne. Anne would read to blind kids, but she'd never be dumb enough to blow her eyes out with fireworks.

    ReplyDelete