Sunday, July 17, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 13

Lucky 13: A Book Whose Main Character Is Most Like You

Gianna:
 
This question really just annoys me so I will cheat a bit and use a mixture of “characters” and people from biographies I have read (and who says that is breaking the rules anyway? People are so judgmental – mostly me though).  So okay, part Lucy Grealy (Autobiography of a Face) because I was so, so uncomfortable in my own skin when I was younger (so unlike now…yeah), and a bit of Ann in the really wonderful novel by Mona Simpson Anywhere But Here (my mantra for Glenwood, Illinois, back in the day) and a tad of Sarah Silverman (I will leave it up to you to decide if it's her bed-wetting or inappropriateness – or both – that I identify with). Also… Peppermint Patty.

Liz

Gianna would answer for me that her imagined child version of me closely resembles Flavia from The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (she imagines that I was rather precocious and too smart for my own good).  If I were much older, I might be Iris, the main character in Margaret Atwood's Blind Assassin; I would walk to the bakery for sweets and ponder the graffiti in the public restroom stall.  As for what character most resembles my life now, I'm willing to listen to suggestions.  Is there a character in literature who's in her mid-30's, lives alone, is obsessed with books and her cat, and mostly dislikes people? 

2 comments:

  1. The unnamed narrator in Carpentier's "The Lost Steps".

    ReplyDelete
  2. See day 12. I am Rob Gordon meets John Ames meets John Wheelwright meets Chuck Klosterman meets Muley Wills. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete