Saturday, July 23, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 19

Day 19: A Book That Turned You On

Gianna:

This is a total toss up and I simply refuse to choose so I am putting down both! Okay. And this is in no particular order...

1. Barbra Streisand My Passion For Design which is a beautifully written and just so sexy book about uh, Barbra's um, love of design. And as you can tell from the cover it is very assessable and timeless. And I understand you can get those dogs everywhere and since they are white they just go with everything!

2. I am so happy I came across this book, it completely changed the way I avoid making love: Women Can Win the Marriage Lottery: Share Your Man With Another Wife : (The Case for Plural Marriage). Ladies, if you are in a marriage with just a husband and zero other women...you are wasting your life. You have GOT to get on this plural marriage train NOW before it's too late... like, you know, before all the great ladies are taken! I think this author needs to look up the word "lottery" in the dictionary.

Liz:

Crap.  I should have looked at the categories.  I've already chosen the Pol Pot biography, so now I'm at a loss.  And really, Letters to Penthouse has become so predictable over the years.  I'm going to turn, therefore, to my nerdier obsessions.  I am a history nerd on top of being a literature snob, and there are certain people in history that, uh, stimulate my curiosity.  A few outstanding biographies, then, to illustrate what turns me on intellectually:

1. American Prometheus by Kai Bird, detailing the brilliance and tragic downfall of Robert Oppenheimer, designer of the atomic bomb.
2. Whittaker Chambers by Sam Tanenhaus, telling the story of the Cold War spy who brought down the more famous State Department spy Alger hiss.
3. Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montifiore, chronicling the machinations and megalomania of the Soviet dictator.
4. A Clearing in the Distance by Witold Rybczynski, the biography of Frederick Law Olmsted, who revolutionized landscape architecture and designed Central Park and the Chicago World's Fair.

So my ideal seems to be someone with a brilliant scientific mind, a love of nature, Communist ties, no religious beliefs, and wears a uniform well.  Megalomania isn't a bad perk either. 

And yes, I'm still single.

No comments:

Post a Comment