Sunday, February 12, 2012

Days of Love...and Lack Thereof, Day 18

Gianna:



Harold and Maude

Before anyone gives me a hassle let me just say that I know it was a movie first, then a novel. I don’t care, it's an easy way to get my favorite (well, second favorite movie) in my top five Valentine book list.

Maude is on the left, with the 'fro.
Harold and Maude are the cutest, sweetest, sexiest couple ever (and this novel…well, movie has a great soundtrack, it makes you want to date older….way older).  Editions of this book can be pretty pricey, but you have to have it on your shelf. Okay, don’t read, just see the movie. It’s a win-win.

Also, meet my girlfriend’s Valentine gift from me….Harold and Maude. [I think Gianna's trying to replace Zorro as our official mascot.  I also think that Zorro would destroy Harold and Maude.]

Liz:

Not enough people have read Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk.  Seriously, this book should have been a huge bestseller and every book group out there should have read it.  It's not too late.  Find a copy, read it, and then feel free to let me know how grateful you are.

Columbus is a guy who was found floating in the ocean off the coast of Spain, naked, mentally ill, believing that he's the famous explorer.  Except he can't be Christopher Columbus because it's the present day.  He's sent to live in a Barcelona mental hospital and though doctors try to engage him, he's resistant to treatment.  Then he begins to tell his story--or Columbus's story anyway--to Consuela, a nurse there.  (Oh, and he's still naked.  He hates to wear clothes.)  As his story unravels, his real life begins to come forward.

Yeah, this is another Liz-selected book about a mentally ill protagonist, but I swear that there is a love story here.  And it's a terrific read.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment