Sunday, February 5, 2012

Days of Love...and Lack Thereof, Day 11

Gianna:



When my Princess Lizzy wants a Bronte on the list, she gets it (unlike when she doesn't want an Austen on the list). She is the Catherine to my Heathcliff, the Agnes to my Grey (can't recall anything specific about this novel), the Jane to my Rochester, and the Mr. Darcy to my...
wait...(nerd joke).

Tough choice picking a favorite Bronte novel, it's like choosing my favorite infomercial. Actually, that's pretty easy; The Magic Bullet. I wish we could all get together and watch it on the big screen. [Huh. I had you pegged as a fan of the Shake Weight.]

Charlotte, 19th Century Babe
I could take Anne out of the picture (Oh, I am back to the Bronte gals) because she died so young, but then again that could also shoot her straight to the top of the list. I also should point out that I am going to base very little of this on actual literary merit...or at all. Now Charlotte was a cold stone fox so if I were to judge by looks--and let's be honest,everything should be--she would be number one. Emily was incredibly anti-social and when it comes to anti-social ladies I am powerless...if only she were a hopeless drunk, she would be a shoe-in for first place. Nothing like a shut-in boozer. [It's why Gianna loves me.]

Agnes Grey, Wuthering Heights, or Jane Eyre. I read Agnes Grey so long ago that I can't recollect what it's about besides old-timey babysitting...or was it homeschooling? Anyway, it's out. Jane Eyre is effing Jane Eyre so it's the the winner right? No, because you know what Wuthering Heights has that Jane Eyre doesn't? A cool song named after it.

Yep,  that settles it. Wuthering Heights wins best/romantic Bronte novels. Oh, and plus it's the novel most like The Ghost Whisperer

[This whole entry makes my head ache.]

Liz:

What's more romantic than a Greek classic?  How about the updated version.  Riffing on Oedipus Rex, David Guterson's retelling is dark, funny, and even though you sort of know what's going to happen, are you going to tell me that you're going to stop reading BEFORE the main character kills his daddy and sleeps with his mommy?  You're just not...and if you are, perhaps you're reading the wrong blog.  

Ed King is indeed a retelling of the Sophocles classic.  Ed is basically a Bill Gates character, but his life is derailed when his father dies in a car wreck and then, well, he marries his mom.  And yes, they consummate that marriage.  Your valentine will love you for thinking of him/her when you think of this book.

(I really think I've missed the point of this love book theme.)

No comments:

Post a Comment