Thursday, October 13, 2011

Operation Chuck: Diary

We're a week away from the Lemuria Bookstore event for Chuck Palahniuk, and I'm about....too many books from succeeding in my quest to read all of Chuck's works.  Guess what I'm doing this weekend?  I mean, besides watching baseball playoffs, of course.

I finished Diary a few days ago but was too lazy to post it immediately (and we wanted to post the hilarious bookseller profile for Chris Hoyt--you really should read it if you haven't), and now I'm catching up.  The problem, of course, is that I'm about 250 pages into the next Chuck book and am starting to get Palahniukitis, where all of the characters and plots blend into one twenty-something dude's scatological wet dream.

Here's what I remember:

  • Diary is a horror novel in a classic sense, full of deception and psychological terror.  The main character lives on an island and had aspirations of being an artist but instead was working at the local inn.  Her husband, who didn't love her, is in a coma.
  • Misty, the main character, is isolated, and the villagers keep bullying her to paint.
  • The island was home to two previous great artists, and one of them has left "run before they get you"-type messages all over the place.
  • Misty, stupidly, doesn't run.
  • There's some kidnapping and torture.
  • One must suffer to create art.  Based on this theme, I expect to be the next great pop artist, specializing in portraits of my abusive cat.  Zorro is my blue dog.
  • Diary is more subtle and less humorous than the other Chuck books I've read to this point.  It was a nice break from some of the absurdity.
Ah, Sam.  Love you.
Next: Choke.  I know that Sam Rockwell is in the movie version, and I love him.  Also, I will read any book that involves the holy foreskin.  It's my favorite relic.

No comments:

Post a Comment