Tuesday, May 7, 2013

An Author a Day for Thirty Days: Day 7


I am just a few authors in on the thirty-day odyssey and am already in panic mode. Haven Kimmel? We haven’t written about Haven Kimmel? That just can’t be right. Man, this blog blows.

Haven Kimmel first came into my life when I was working at Random House and selling her first book, A Girl Named Zippy: Growing up Small in Mooreland, Indiana. It totally blew me away. It was the best thing I read that year and I am sure I annoyed every single bookseller I came in contact with. Zippy was a really lovely, funny, thoughtful memoir, but her second book (and one of my favorite titles ever) The Solace of Leaving Early, is the book that solidified Kimmel as a bona fide writer.

How much do I love Haven Kimmel? If I had my own publishing house, Haven would be on my top five wish list of authors to publish. Wait… did you guys think I was going to say that I was going to move to North Carolina to be closer to her? You guys are creepy. 

I also highly recommend the novel, Something Rising (Light and Swift) and her second memoir She Got Up Off the Couch, and Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana. The woman can name a book, can’t she?

No comments:

Post a Comment