Friday, May 3, 2013

An Author a Day for Thirty Days: Day 3


Richard Bausch
Although Richard Bausch is a worker of miracles, he just might be the most underrated male writer at work today.  Bausch writes beautifully; his characters are complex and so true to life that even after finishing a short story, you feel as though it was a full-length novel.

I think the first book I read by Bausch was Someone to Watch Over Me, which I loved (I purchased this book in Mississippi, strange the things we remember), but the book that absolutely won me over was Wives & Lovers: 3 Short Novels. These novellas hit me in the gut. See for yourself: go to a bookstore and open the book up and read the novella, “Rare & Endangered Species.”  Trust me, you’ll spend the $15 on this book and then you will be back for more.  When you’re done with that book, move on to Peace; it’s a tremendous read.

Robert Bausch
Also, if you want to be exactly like me, after you’ve read a few Richard Bausch, pick up The White Rooster and Other Stories, fall in love with that book, and only later realize that it’s not a Richard Bausch book, but a Robert Bausch book. The bastard has a twin brother who is a fantastic writer as well. Finally, go into debt buying Bausch books. It’s worth it.


1 comment:

  1. Gianna,

    I'm curious - why do you differentiate between male and female authors?

    ReplyDelete