Sunday, May 12, 2013

An Author a Day for Thirty Days: Day 12


Sometimes referred to as a modern day Dorothy Parker, today’s ignored author is Fran Lebowitz. Having said that, we’ve also ignored Dorothy Parker. Go figure. I purchased a copy of Metropolitan Life and The Reader about a hundred years ago. I now own three copies of each; I guess that says that I have officially given up on future books.

Fran Lebowitz is just cool; therefore I am drawn to her. She also scares me; therefore I am drawn to her. She is also a terribly smart, arrogant, sarcastic woman who was kicked out of high school; therefore…well, you get the picture.
 
Last year Random House repackaged her previous essays in one book called The Fran Lebowitz Reader. It’s the only book you need, but you should also see the Martin Scorsese documentary on Fran called Public Speaking.

Some of my favorite Lebowitzisms:

The opposite of talking isn't listening. The opposite of talking is waiting.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Having been unpopular in high school is not just cause for book publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment