|The ballroom in Boulder Bookstore.|
Generally Horrible Questions: April Gosling
|We asked April for a picture. This is the one she chose.|
Buy books from her or she will kill you.
Did I mention that Kalamazoo is the graveyard of ambition?
2. What is your job now? What sort of shenanigans do you get up to?
My job now... I spend a lot of time on Twitter and Facebook. I've also been known to read at my desk. My job is to curate and grow a sales aspect of the store that didn't receive as much attention as it did before. This means, to be short, that no one knows what my job is--most importantly, my bosses. Seriously. Shenanigans? I think it's more the store than the job, but I do a surprising amount of work barefoot. Wild and crazy, I know. (How is that shocking? We don't wear pants some days.)
3. What are you reading now?
|Read poetry to me, Mr. Barry.|
Sebastian Barry's language. If I could make sweet, sweet love to his use of the English language, I'd do it. Fiance be damned. (And yes, he knows that.) I dated a poet in college; I'd rather have the language, not the man. Poets tend to be a wee bit fucked up, either real fuckery or feigned, they are a messy folk. And incestuous too. (Yeah, we're glad this answer stopped here. Liz was starting to get uncomfortable...mostly because you mentioned poetry.)
5. Let’s talk about Michigan. Were you at least a little tempted by Detroit’s offer of free houses for writers?
Oh, hell yeah! I'd live with the roving packs of wild dogs for a) a 'free' house, and b) the chance to be kinda close to home. I don't know if I would fit the 'writer' bit... I mean... I write poetry about as often as a death row inmate gets a conjugal visit... (Ooh! Death row inmates have more active social lives than Liz?! Excellent.) What else would you like to know about the best state in the union?
6. You have to eat dinner with one of these famous Ohio natives. Who do you pick, and will you bring up how your home state hates Ohio? Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart Simpson), Colonel Custer, President Warren Harding, Ted Turner, or Dean Martin? Also, does it bother you that Nobel Prize Winner Toni Morrison is from Ohio? Oh, and you can bring one of these famous Michiganites(?) to the dinner: Tim Allen, Jim Bakker, Bozo the Clown, Dave Coulier, Ted Nugent, Steven Seagal; who’s it going to be? Death is not an option.
7. Let’s talk nuptials. On a scale of 1 to Book Nerd Insanity, where does your upcoming wedding rank? What’s the coolest/craziest thing you’re planning? Are you registering at a bookstore?
|Imagine April and Ryan Gosling under this arch.|
8. Liz or Gianna?
9. Astros or Cubs? (Keep in mind that we take our baseball very seriously.)
10. Do you have a magical moment working in the book business that stands out?
I feel like a gargantuan monster when standing next to my boss. Even if you have zero readers, there is nothing bad to say... He chews loudly?
|Read poetry to me, Mr. Franco.|
12. Any author crushes?
Hmm... Yeah... Nope. I'd like to keep the crushes quiet as the crushes are local authors who may or may not follow me on Twitter. (Got it. We're just going to say that it's James Franco.)
13. Where do you hope to go in Book Land? (What does the future hold?)