What's sales conference like?
|Dr. Seuss hats for all!|
Dignity for none!
- There's a lot of sitting in uncomfortable chairs, and for a conference at which books are discussed round the clock, there's never any time to actually read.
- The bar in the hotel is designated as a hospitality suite, and if you wear your name tag you can drink as much as you want. There are always a few people who think that gettin' sloppy with the colleagues is a great finish to a day...and there are always a few people who think that spending time in the hospitality suite is its own ring of hell.
- Every company has its inside jokes and jokesters. Some are actually funny. More are not.
- I always feel sorry for the tourists who are staying at the resort and are surrounded by hundreds of Random House employees. That said, these people have the pool all to themselves all day. I did have a view of the pool from my hotel room...so of course I took a bunch of pictures of the people with the man boobs testing the theory of water displacement eight floors below me.
- Sonny Mehta is there. Sonny is the Editor in Chief of Knopf. We follow him into the bookish abyss with reckless abandon.
- Oh yeah, and we talk about a bunch of books, some of which are truly exciting.