Thursday, January 19, 2012

Generally Horrible Questions: Charley Carroll


Charley Carroll is the Community Relations Manager at the Barnes & Noble in the Arboretum in Ausitn, Texas.  Also, and more importantly, she is someone really good to know around Texas Book Festival time.

When you first meet Charley (or someone like her), you immediately realize how very uncool you are. Now granted, Liz and I have come to terms with our un-coolness (Liz simply refuses to get even one tattoo so, you know, it doesn’t help). [In spite of the fact that Gianna has no way of actually confirming that I have no tattoos, she's right--not into the mutilation here.] And then you get to know this very cool person and she turns out to also be incredibly smart and over the moon sweet. This, of course, makes you realize that, you know, maybe you're sort of dumb and you are definitely not nice. [Definitely not nice.] We wanted to profile Charley because she makes us feel terrible about who we are, and we really think that knowing that will make her feel bad too. So take that Charley! Not so cool now are you? Wait…does that make you even cooler? [I'm so uncool that I don't understand any of this paragraph.]

Generally Horrible Questions: Charley Carroll

1. How did you get into the bookselling game?
When I walked into my first bookstore (ever!) and submitted an application at the ripe old age of 18. I started two days later. [So....high standards there?  I (Liz) am just bitter because obviously Gianna thinks you're cooler than I am.  Humph.]

2. What are your three desert island books?
a. Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
b. The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
c. SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation


3. What are you currently reading?
The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb (thanks to Gianna’s top 10 list) and Buddhism: Plain and Simple

4. What is the best part of your job?
That would be my position on the Texas Book Festival author selection committee!

5. I’ve never seen (any) Star Wars movies and I am so ashamed…or am I? [That makes two of us that haven’t seen them, and let’s keep it that way - Gianna]
Charley and hunk.

6. Percent of people who think you are a dude before they meet you?
94.7%…but only 52.1% admit it. [Odd, but those are the same exact percentages that think Gianna is a dude AFTER meeting her.]

7. Hottest author that you’ve ever met?
The guy on the cover of Kresley Cole’s newest book…he signed my book so I will consider him an author.


8. What book or books changed your life?
The Big-Ass Book of Crafts; The Big-Ass Book of Crafts 2 [I guess it took us up until this exact moment to really believe that cool people do craft…]

9. Liz or Gianna?
No, I have not read that book yet. Can you get me a free copy? [Gianna: it’s a picture book, and yes.] [Liz: Seriously?  The answer is ALWAYS 'Liz.'  Always.]

10. I wanted to be a rainbow when I grew up. [This answer gets you one ass beating from Gianna.]

11. Which author would you most want to land a book signing with?
Hunter S. Thompson (RIP) on his Hell’s Angels tour [This must have been after you realized you couldn’t be a rainbow.]

12. Book you are hand selling the most right now?
The book in my hand the most is The Hunger Games because people will NOT stop asking for it…I like to hand sell any Patrick Rothfuss books when I can.  
Charley and her angels

13. All time favorite book?
Really?! No. [Hmmm…guess you aren’t a sucker.]

14. Favorite book to movie?
The Bee Season

15. Charlie Chaplin, Charlie’s Angels, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie Sheen or a Charlie Horse?
Me with my Angels: Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell [HOT!]



No comments:

Post a Comment