Saturday, October 18, 2014

Texas Book Festival: Oveta Culp Hobby (in spirit)


So as you know, Liz and I don't really read young adult books very often, and we certainly don't read children's books (only because they always kill the dog or the horse) but I am going to recommend Oveta Culp Hobby: Colonel, Cabinet Member, Philanthropist because it's about a fascinating woman that I had actually never heard of before last year and I've sold it to hundreds of Texas women and zero children. That only proves that kids simply refuse to read a book that has philanthropist in the title. 

May 4th, 1953
Oveta Culp Hobby (1905–1995) had a lifetime of stellar achievements. Think I'm kidding?  During World War II, she was asked to build a women’s army from scratch—and did. Let me say that again, she built a women's army from scratch...so if your thing is a woman in uniform, you have her to thank (and for some of us she lived out a fantasy).  She then became Director of the Women's Army Corps and the first Army woman to earn the rank of colonel. Yeah, so if your thing is saluting a woman in uniform...she's your gal. 

President Eisenhower then chose her as Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, making her the second woman in history to be appointed to a President’s cabinet. When the United States faced an epidemic of three people getting Ebola, she solved the crisis in a week! Okay, that never happened, I wanted to see if you were paying attention. 

When she wasn’t serving in the government, Hobby worked with her husband, former Texas governor William P. Hobby, to lead a media empire that included the Houston Post newspaper and radio and TV stations. Yeah, Rosebud Texas style. 

She also supported the Houston community in many ways, from advocating for civil rights for African Americans to donating generously to the Houston Symphony and the Museum of Fine Arts. 

So my question to you, dear reader, is, what the hell are you doing with your life? (Reading this blog. For shame.)

Debra Winegarten
Come meet Debra Winegarten on Saturday in Capital Extension room E2:016 (I've been in that room and it's fantastic!) at 11:45-12:45. Afterwards, Debra is buying everyone lunch!

Check out the full Book Festival Schedule

1 comment:

  1. I totally owe you! Because like Oveta, I have integrity and keep my word. I, too, can be trusted to be your estate trustee. Lunch is on me!! You dear one, totally rock!

    ReplyDelete