Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Texas Book Festival: Dept. of Speculation

By the end of the TBF Jenny
will be grateful she isn't JCO
Jenny Offill has the unfortunate distinction of being the writer that I am most obsessed with right now. I am trying to decide if I will sit in the front row of her panel on Saturday and just communicate my feelings with my eyes, or if I should just be Italian about it and kiss her on the lips. I know what you're thinking...save the kiss for Joyce Carol Oates. Point taken.

Actual size of book.
(kidding, but close)
Offill's compact and powerful Dept. of Speculation just blew me away. It's a really smart novel about a marriage coming apart, at times comic, cynical, passionate, and sad, but always pitch perfect.  The novel is written almost as journal entries, but really it's filled will beautifully written vignettes. Yesterday, I wrote about The Empathy Exams which is one of the most original books I've read in a long time. Imagine how surprised I was to read this little gem only a week later (don't worry, I rounded off my month with a couple of real stinkers that I won't be writing about).  Dept. of Speculation will get you out of the reading doldrums, plus it's like only ten pages long...man, you people are lazy.

Come sit with me in the front row at the Texas Book Festival
(Beware of kisses)
Saturday 2:00PM in Capital Extension Room E2:010

Check out the full Texas Book Festival line-up

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome read! The following snippet from the book always fills me with happiness...
    "At night, they lie in bed holding hands. It is possible if she is stealthy enough that the wife can do this while secretly giving the husband the finger."

    ReplyDelete